Laid off and Looking for the next interesting job...

 After a short but interesting time at a consulting company, where I focused on IR and dabbled in OT IR, they ran into pipeline issues and I was sent home on "garden leave".  I will miss them, I had great colleagues who amazed and impressed me with their skills. I got to focus on IR and the implications for OT and enjoyed being able to concentrate; make internal presentations, external presentation as well.

Then my body told me I was too old for IR and the middle of the night calls, so I asked if it was possible to be moved into detection, where I was supposed to help with that. Maybe see how we could log OT devices etc. This was approved and after a few weeks, I got the call. Something changed I guess.

 The last time I was laid off was 1990, so last century. Damn. But math is king and as inexorable as gravity. Neither is personal, shift happens. I reminded the team about the Innuit cultures habit of leaving the old out on the iceflow for the bears ;)

The first time it happened to me; I was in a tough situation; moved to the big city, new car, big payments, no network, etc. The next week I had a new job. Love IT.

So I told LinkedIn I was "available for work" and thanks to a fantastic network of friends and acquaintances I was shocked to get a ton of support and alot of jobs to check out, with some talks about potential jobs. Polished up the resume and applied for a few jobs. A couple of coffee talks with some good people trying to help me on to the next job.

 Now I have time to finish all the online training I paid for last year and read that stack of books !

The next job will be as a freelancer,  mostly remote, not IR or operational, and deal with OT or Production IT. I cant take the long commute anymore and I am much more effective working from home. In peace and quiet. Open offices might be nice for some, but it is like the cyber gaming cafe's when they started. Noisy and full of kids ;) Not a place for me to add shareholder value. 

Now off to vacation, hope fully only one month, but I can survive for three with out any panic. Very aware of how fortunate we are.  Have a great summer and see you later !


Comments

Popular posts from this blog