In 2017 I worked at an electrical distribution company as a security guy and eventually got to focus on ICS again. During this time I was very fortunate to be working for the right people in the right company to take and get the SANS GISCP, GRID and GCIP courses and certifications. I was physically at the 2019 SANS ICS Summit in Florida to take the GCIP, where I got to meet more than a few ICS legends. Not just the ones teaching, but this applied to most of the students and alot of the Summit attendees I met.

I love taking remote classes; but nothing beats a live class. Traveling  post plague has lost a lot of the interest for me and I just do not enjoy it any more. I just renewed these ICS certifications earlier this year; thanks to SANS for making an updated copy available for a modest renewal fee.  Now I just wish we could buy the new ICS kit offered at the live courses, apparently supply chain problems are making that impossible for SANS. Some courses have been cancelled, due to lack of training kit. Ugh.

Alot of the ICS training material, like most things Cyber, comes from the USA. There are many excellent well known sources, with my person favorite being the ICS Security Cyber Training ran by the DHS. This is live training by invitation only and not to be confused with the online introductory materials which are useful, free and just a bit hard to find every time they re do their website.

We participated with a number of other companies from Denmark; spent a number of days reviewing some course material and at the end, we were split up in Red/Blue teams on an partially described production installation to attack and defend it. The last day was "lessons learned" from the handlers who monitored the proceedings.  DHS has provided this training for many years and generously allow others working in critical infrastructure from other countries to participate. Many thanks and much respect for this.

I could not help but wonder why this is not done here in Denmark, as we have the need, and all of the other necessary ingredients. The recently established EnergiCERT  https://energicert.dk/ offers a number of courses and a great training lab; I can only hope it eventually scales to something similar from the DHS. Ting tar tid; even with the vision!

Which is an excellent segue into the best European ICS Summit I have attended.... CS3STHLM  https://www.cs3sthlm.se/ in Stockholm Sweden. I have attended only two years but they were the best ran; most professional and fun events I have ever attended. Mostly due to the wonderful people who run the show and make up the steering committee. Oh, and the agenda, the site, the food and the speakers of course. And an ICS lab in the basement and a CTF. In 2019, the keynote speaker was Andy Greenberg; the audience got a free copy of his book "SANDWORM, Lessons From the Ukrainian Cyberwar and Beyond" and I was fortunate enough to get my copy signed. Whats not to like ?

Unfortunately, CS3STHLM was remote only in 2020; cancelled in 2021 and appears not to be happening for 2022; I can only hope that it returns again soon. You are missed.

During 2020, we were in deep lock down, so remote courses were the only options. 

During the spring I took the ISA/IEC 662443 CyberSecurity Fundamentals course; this was well done, I found it a bit dry. There are four courses to take, leading to the ISA/IEC 62443 Cybersecurity Expert designation. Reasonable priced; lots of detail on IEC 62443  https://www.isa.org/certification/certificate-programs/cybersecurity

In the fall, Black Hat Europe offered Justin Searle's (teacher of SANS ICS410 GISCP) Assessing and Exploiting Control Systems & IIoT class https://www.controlthings.io/training 

Highly recommended; took me out of my comfort zones and I learned a lot.

On my to do list is https://icscsi.org/training.html from Joel Langill (https://www.scadahacker.com/training.html)

SCADA / ICS blog of the month is from Sarah Fluchs, the CTO of admeritia in Germany; highly recommended: https://fluchsfriction.medium.com/automation-security-by-design-decisions-5619b97126c0


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laid off and Looking for the next interesting job...